Five essential characteristics of a faithful disciple of Jesus Christ…
1. They are at peace with God (v. 36).
· The Living, resurrected, Jesus Christ is real person – not a ghost (v. 37; John 14:19-20; Galatians 2:20).
· The death and resurrection of Jesus makes real peace with God possible (Romans 4:25-5:2; Ephesians 2:14; John 11:25).
· Are you at peace with God?
2. They are life-long students of the Scriptures (vv. 44-46).
· Ask God to open your mind to understand the Scriptures (v. 45).
· Everything in the Scriptures say must be fulfilled (v. 44; 2 Timothy 3:16).
· To not be committed to the Scriptures will result in chronic heart issues: foolishness and dullness (v. 25; Matthew 4:4).
· Are you a life-long student of God’s Word?
3. They are committed to the mission of Jesus (vs. 47 and 48).
· In light of the resurrection of Jesus, give yourself fully to the work of the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:54-58; Acts 4:12).
· This Good News must be proclaimed/heralded/published to the ends of the earth (Matthew 28:18-20; Genesis 12:3; Psalm 2:7-8; Malachi 1:11).
· Are you fully committed to the mission of Jesus?
4. They are clothed with God’s power for the mission (v. 49; Revelation 7:10).
· Clothing = the power of the Holy Spirit; something that you must be sure that you have put on intentionally (Colossians 3:10)
· If you have no intention or interest in telling the world about Jesus, or of making disciples of Jesus, you will not need the Holy Spirit’s power (Acts 1:8).
· To be “clothed with power from on high” is absolutely essential because we will be operating in the enemy’s territory (Luke 10:3; Ephesians 6:11).
· Are you intentionally putting on Christ?
5. They are life-long worshipers of Jesus (vs. 52-53; John 4:23-24).
· Are you a devoted worshiper of Jesus?
|Apr 15, 2018||Five Essential Characteristics of a Disciple – The Gospel of Luke Series (Luke 24:35-53)||Listen||Download|