1. Jesus was ridiculed for welcoming “sinners” to eat with him and hear the Gospel (15:1-2).
2. Jesus shared four parables to show how merciful God is toward sinners, and how His followers should be shrewd in sharing the Gospel with “sinners” so that they can be saved (16:8-9).
3. The Pharisees, presented with the greatest teaching the world has ever heard, responded with sneers and ridicule.
The Truth the Pharisees Couldn’t Face (Luke 16:14-18)
1. The Pharisees ridiculed Jesus for his teaching (v. 14). Why?
· They correctly understood that there is no mercy for sinners in the Law (Romans 3:19-20).
· They incorrectly thought the Law had saved them (v. 15; Romans 3:23).
2. The Pharisees were self-deceived men who thought they were Law-keepers and not Law-breakers (v. 15; 1 Samuel 16:7; Matthew 23:27-28).
· They were lovers of money.
· They were self-righteous.
3. The Pharisees rejected the Good News that could save them, while other “sinners” were receiving it and being saved (v. 16; Luke 4:18-19).
What did Jesus mean when He said, “everyone is forcing his way into it” (v. 16)?
· “Unless you repent you too will all perish” (Luke 13:3).
· “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door” (Luke 13:24; John 14:6).
· “Everyone who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 14:11).
· “Anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:27).
· “Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:33).
· “You cannot serve two masters” (Luke 6:13).
4. The Pharisees were reminded that they were guilty of breaking the Law, too (vs. 17 and 18).
· The Law did not pass away when Jesus came. It was fulfilled by Him only (v. 17; Galatians 3:11-14: Matthew 5:17).
· They had played fast and loose with the Law regarding divorce (Deuteronomy 24:1-4; Matthew 5:31-32; Matthew 19:3-6 and 8-9), and were, therefore, adulterers worthy of death (Deuteronomy 22:22).
So what? You are not righteous enough to save yourself, so press into the Gospel – your only hope – and don’t miss your share of it!
|Jul 9, 2017||Face the Truth about Yourself – The Gospel of Luke Series (Luke 16:14-18)||Listen||Download|